I have had to write this letter and slip this under the door as you are being uncommunicative.
Lately, I have been noticing that you are spending more and more time at home, locked up in your room, fretting. I think I have figured out the issue; the appearance of White hair at the young age of 23yrs is playing havoc with your self confidence.
Well, it’s time that you stop moping around, take a stock of the situation and do something about it, before it gets too late. Sitting around and procrastinating has never helped anyone. This needs to be dealt with now.
Hair color comes from a pigment called Melanin which not only gives your hair its color but also colors, skin and eyes. So, if the hair is turning white, it indicates that melanin is missing. Melanin production does drop as you age. However it should not be happening at this young age and you need to find the reason why.
Let’s face it; it’s not the genes. Your father and I, both still have a beautiful mop of dark hair with very few sprinkles of grey hair, even at this age and your grandparents had beautiful hair as well.So it has to be something else in the lifestyle that is affecting the hair.
Are you aware that Stress can cause premature white hair? And that you are super stressed out, especially about your hair turning white? It’s a catch 22 situation. Apparently stress affects the stem cells which are mainly responsible for regenerating hair pigments i.e. melanin.
Modern Lifestyle Choices
I have caught the occasional whiff of the drink and smoke, no matter how hard you have tried to mask it. While it might appear “cool” to indulge in it, you should be aware of the consequences. Alcohol hampers the body’s ability to produce melanin. It dehydrates the body thus preventing the nutrients from travelling to your hair. Smoking not only causes cancer in the longer run, it also fastens ageing and premature white hair. You just have to look around you and observe the smokers in your circle to realize this fact.
Chemical Hair Dyes And Hair Products
You were so excited when you dyed your tresses a shocking blue. Experiments with self are soul food and rejuvenate us. However chemical hair dyes and even shampoos can contribute to premature white hair, as many of these products contain harmful ingredients that decrease melanin. Add chemical free product in your hair care kit.
Vitamin and Minerals Deiciencies
Do you remember how we, as parents, have always been trying to get you to eat your greens and nuts and a bunch of other “healthy” stuff? Well there are multiple reasons for it and one of them is good skin and healthy hair. Vitamin B12, B6, D, and E, biotin, folic acid, Omega-3 are all crucial to hair health.Deficiency of mineral copper and zinc can hurt melanin production as well.
Certain Medical Conditions
Thyroid hormone malfunction can alter the hair follicle structure and function leading to premature grey hair.In autoimmune diseases, like alopecia and vitiligo, the immune system can attack hair and cause loss of pigment.
Here is some news. Sun’s UV rays, pollution and changing weather conditions do not just affect the skin but have an extremely damaging effect on the hair as well leading to premature white hair.
Prevention And Reversing Premature White Hair
Good news is that in most of the other cases, graying can be slowed down if not reversed. Thank God that it’s not genetics. Else there would have been no recourse.
1. Doc appointment has been booked to discuss and eliminate thyroid by testing.
2. Quit Smoking and alcohol to avoid premature ageing. You will see an immediate improvement in your overall health, including hair.
3. Stay hydrated and No! Juices and green teas don’t count. It has to be pure, unadulterated aqua.
4. Cover up girls! Use a scarf and hat to protect your hair from the Sun, pollution and weather.
5. Embrace meditation, yoga, walking and exercise as a part of your life to avoid stress.
6. If you want to cover up the grays then try chemical free natural hair dyes already available in the market. They work!
7. Stop eating just your favorite foods and consult a dietician for a balanced meal plan.
8. Bhringraj oil prevents premature graying. It’s the king of herbs. Maybe you will let me oil your hair once or twice a week again and not shun it like other youngsters.
9. There are quite a few natural remedies like using amala, sesame seeds, curry leaves etc, both for consumption and application. It goes a long way in improving the hair health and reversing premature graying.
All the above are very “do-able” solutions which require slight adjustments to lifestyle choices, diet and routines. It’s time that you start taking care of your bodies to lead a healthy and peaceful life.
I am always here to support you. All you need to do is let me know what is bothering you.
A Practical Mom