Raw Milk for Skin
|Estimated reading Time - 10 minutes|
Where would we be without milk, right? It's practically part of most things we Indians consume. Whether it's chai in the morning or post-meal dahi or our beloved paneer dishes - we love dairy. This is why it is unlikely that you don’t know how nutritious milk is. It is a powerhouse loaded with nutrients and proteins that are essential for our survival. BUT. Here’s something you might have not known - milk that comes in processed packets actually does not have all the natural nutrients raw milk straight from cows, buffaloes, or goats does.
You see, the milk we are sold from big companies undergoes a heating process called pasteurization, which is specifically done to preserve milk for a longer time. At your house, you have likely noticed that your mother frequently boils milk to prevent it from going bad. And this indeed works wonders! But every time you boil milk, a certain amount of its nutrition is lost. This is why we focus on the raw form of milk in this blog. It is fairly easy to get pure, unadulterated, fresh, and raw milk in India, as some dairy farmers trade directly to customers through a simple subscription. It is also better to buy raw milk from local farmers as this significantly decreases the carbon footprint caused by dairy farming.
With this basic information at your disposal, let us get started with the main focus of what we are going to be talking about - the benefits of raw milk for skin. If we were to list all the benefits this amazing substance offers your beautiful skin, we would simply never be able to stop. To make it easy, we have compiled a list of the best 10 benefits of raw milk for skin. Read on and be enlightened!
10 Astonishing Benefits of Raw Milk for Skin
Raw milk is sufficiently composed of several essential nutrients including calcium, protein, riboflavin, Vitamin D, potassium, magnesium, and more. Considering that milk is produced by mammals to fulfil the nutritional requirements of their new-borns, it shouldn’t be surprising that it has so many benefits. Yet, every time you sit down to look at just how many things raw milk offers you; you are astonished. Here are 10 benefits of raw milk for skin that will probably leave your jaw dropped on the floor.
Given the pollution, sweat, and dirt our skin is exposed to every day, one’s skin can easily start to look dull and tired. Luckily, raw milk is perfect to treat such a problem. Raw milk is composed of lactic acid, which is known to brighten your skin by sloughing away damaged upper skin layers and revealing fresh, smooth skin beneath. Additionally, some studies suggest that milk can help reduce the secretion of melanin on your skin, which is primarily the cause of hyperpigmentation. Therefore, with all the dark spots, dirt, and oil gone - all you are left with is a beautifully even skin tone.
DIY - How to use raw milk for skin brightening?
- Pour a tbsp. of ubtan into a bowl. Add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Next, pour about 1 cup of fresh raw milk into the bowl.
- Mix well to make an even paste.
- Wash your face with an ayurvedic face wash and apply the paste all over your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and watch your skin glow!
Run your hand on your face. Does it feel bumpy and rough? Do you wish it was softer? Don’t worry, the fabulous benefits of raw milk for skin have got your back. Because of its thick texture and composition, raw milk is able to nourish your skin layers from deep within. This adds life to your skin and gives it a beautiful texture - meaning you finally have the soft skin you always dreamed of! Softer skin is also much plump and elastic, so you won’t have to worry too much about fine lines and wrinkles - your skin is able to bounce back into shape while remaining heavenly to touch.
DIY - How to use raw milk for softer skin?
- Scoop out the essence of about ½ of a ripe medium-sized avocado.
- Add ½ cup raw milk to the avocado.
- Mix well to make a fine paste.
- Add a tsp. of sugar to the paste (optional)
- Cleanse face with ayurvedic face wash and scrub your face well to make it ready for the face mask.
- Apply the paste all over your face and neck. Leave it on for 7-10 minutes.
- Rinse or wash with a ayurvedic face wash.
Treats Sun Damage
No matter how much of a lively summer person you are, when it comes to skincare, it is hard to like the sun. The harsh UV rays attack your skin and produce free radicals, tan it like there’s no tomorrow, and give you sunburns that annoy you for days. In such situations, raw milk comes to your rescue. Not only is milk composed of loads of calcium, but it is anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and loaded with zinc. The antioxidants fight the free radicals released on your skin by the UV rays. The anti-inflammatory qualities repair sunburns. Finally, zinc and fat in raw milk create a protective barrier around your skin that protects it from further sun damage.
What does this mean? Not only does raw milk remove your tan lines, repair your sunburns, and prevent harsh skin problems - but it also prevents further sun damage by acting as a natural sunscreen.
DIY - How to use raw milk to treat sun damage?
- Soak a few strands of saffron overnight.
- Grind the saffron strands and mix them with 1 cup of raw milk.
- Add about a tsp. of honey to the mix.
- Apply on any area you want to remove tan from or have sunburns on.
Miraculous for Dry Skin
Amongst the plethora of benefits of raw milk for skin, its favor to dry and flaky skin comes somewhere in the top always. Thanks to loads of fats, proteins, and essential nutrients that raw milk is composed of, milk is both a great hydrator and a moisturizer. The raw fats in fresh milk are extra gentle and nourishing on dry skin. Even people with sensitive skin (given that they have done a patch test first) can reap the benefits of a raw milk moisturizer. Milk is healing and can reduce redness in the flaky and dry areas that have gotten red due to friction. It further with the help of its fats creates a lipid barrier on dry skin so that it does not get drier.
DIY - How to use raw milk for dry skin?
- Take a medium-sized ripe banana and mash it into a paste.
- Add 1 cup of milk to the mashed banana.
- Next, add 1 tsp. of honey to the mix.
- Mix all ingredients well and apply it all over your face and neck.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes. Rinse and tone.
- If you wish to use this to moisturize other areas such as arms and legs, use similar proportions.
Organic Make-up Remover
Milk has been used as a cleanser for quite some time now. After all, that is where the idea of “cleansing milk” comes from. Though makeup looks beautiful and is an art worth our appreciation, the powders, and colours we use when we apply makeup on our skin can dry up our skin and alternatively, clog oil and dirt in our pores. One of the most talked-about benefits of raw milk for skin is how it has the ability to seep into your pores and slough dirt and oil away. This is precisely how raw milk makes up an excellent organic make-up remover that can practically be used without worry by anyone. Not only will it clean your skin right up, but it will also leave the much-needed hydration and spur of energy your skin needs after a long hard day.
DIY - It is quite easy to use raw milk as a cleanser. Simply add rose water and milk into a bowl in equal parts (preferably ½ cup each). Next, dip a cotton swab into the mix and start cleansing away! Remember to wash your face with a good ayurvedic face wash afterward.
Good skin toners are probably the most underrated skincare essentials out there. Open pores that trap dirt into your skin and make it look tired and greasy. With a good natural toner such as raw milk, you are enabled to deal with your open pores effectively. Raw milk is unadulterated and thick - which is why it has a tremendous amount of calcium and protein that absorbs right into your skin through your pores when you use it as a toner. Ultimately, utilizing the toning benefit of raw milk for skin gives you smooth skin that is never fazed.
DIY - How to use raw milk as a toner?
- Wash your face with a good ayurvedic face wash.
- Pat dry some of the water, but let your skin stay damp. On this damp skin, apply raw milk with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before wiping it off.
There are a multitude of benefits of raw milk for skin, and all of these benefits combined are what make it safe to say that raw milk can effectively reduce signs of aging on your skin and make it more radiant, plump, and youthful. Raw milk treats sun damage so that free radicals don’t damage your skin and speed up its aging. It also creates a protective barrier over your skin so that other external agents do not contribute to skin aging. And from the inside, raw milk penetrates deep into your skin layer with its composition of calcium, vitamins, protein, and fats to create an environment in which your skin is at its best health. With all these benefits of raw milk for skin, your cell turnover increases, your collagen production is boosted, and you ultimately have tight wrinkle-free skin that looks as young as it could ever be.
DIY - How to use raw milk to slow aging?
- Take about 2 tsp. of Multani Mitti
- Add ¾ cup raw milk to the Multani Mitti and mix well.
- Apply this paste all over your face, with special attention to the loose or saggy areas.
- Let it dry on your skin. Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with ayurvedic face wash to reveal clear, cleansed, and tightened skin.
- If your skin is dry, consider adding bananas and honey to this mixture.
Hydrated and Plump Skin
Water content (hydration) in your skin is extremely essential not just for glowing skin, but also for its overall health. It is water that keeps your skin plump and ready to take on the challenges of the day. It is also water that keeps your skin clean, your pores closed, and excessive oil on your skin at bay. Raw milk is the source of one of the best humectants out there - the Alpha-hydroxy acid called “lactic acid”. Thanks to the presence of this wonderful component, milk has the ability to bring water to the surface of your skin. This results in hydrated and beautiful skin.
DIY - How to use raw milk for hydrated & plump skin?
- Extract about 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel from aloe vera leaves.
- Add the extracted aloe vera gel to about ½ cup of raw milk.
- Apply it to your face and keep it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Good for Post-Acne Treatment
Acne is a prevailing problem that has haunted us since the start of our evolutionary existence. But it is not just active acne that is sprouting on our faces that bothers us - it is also the relentlessness of the scars it leaves behind, the painful skin after it is popped and gone. Milk has soothing qualities that can help you reduce inflammation in these areas. Further, raw milk is capable of nourishing your skin such that its cell turnover speed is increased- meaning it heals faster. This makes way for your acne scars to heal sooner.
How to use raw milk for post-acne treatment?
- Add a pinch of turmeric into about 2 tbsp of sandalwood powder in a bowl
- Mix well before adding ½ cup of raw milk into the paste
- Apply this paste directly on areas where you need post-acne treatment. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat for a few days to notice some lightening of the scar.
Our skin is constantly changing and evolving through its cell turnover processes. Old dead layers are shed every few weeks to make way for new smooth skin underneath. However, it is always good to speed up this process to make way for skin that is always healthy. Raw milk, apart from being an amazing cleanser like ayurvedic face wash, also enables exfoliation like kumkumadi scrub, thanks to its lactic acid content. Lactic acid dissolves itself into the uppermost dead skin layers and sloughs it with itself to give you smooth exfoliated skin.
How to use raw milk for gentle exfoliation?
- Grind about 2 cups of oatmeal into a powder.
- Add 1 cup of milk to this powder.
- Use this paste right after washing your body with soap in the bath. If your skin is dry, we recommend adding honey to the mix first.
- Scrub your elbows, back, knees, etc with the paste in circular motions.
- Rinse and treat yourself with soft exfoliated skin ready to take in the goodness of your favorite moisturizers.
Milk is quite literally an evolutionary nutrition powerhouse that exists so that mammals are able to adapt to their environment better with adequate health. This is precisely why it is always smart to look at all the ways its various forms, specifically the natural raw form can help us. And when it comes to the benefits of raw milk for skin - the list simply never ends. Whether you’re looking for an ayurvedic face wash, toner, or a natural kumkumadi scrub- raw milk is with you through thick and thin. So be smart, be resourceful, and utilize that container full of milk lying around in your fridge to its maximum.