Why is Saffron the Main Ingredient in Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil?
|Estimated Reading Time- 8 minutes|
Kumkumadi face glowing oil is Ayurveda's magical creation. Often termed as the elixir of beauty & life, this miraculous face oil is a potent blend of 21-28 herbs that come together in a symphony to manifest supple, soft, clear and hydrated skin for your face. People who look up to the knowledge imparted by Ayurveda make use of this product, known as Kumkumadi Tailam, all over the world.
Kumkumadi Tailam aka Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil has a sweet fragrance that emanates from saffron and sandalwood. It is a bright transparent yellow colour face oil. This yellow colour in Kumkumadi Tailam comes from saffron and when prepared right, is lightweight in consistency. All in all, Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil is a superfood for your skin!
How did Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil get its name?
We hear so much about Kumkumadi Serum. Market is flooded with Kumkumadi Serum and related products. But where does this term ‘kumkumadi’ come from? The word “Kumkuma” means saffron and belongs to Sanskrit language, which is perhaps the oldest language of India. The word “oil” when translated to Sanskrit becomes “Tailam”. And, so Kumkumadi Tailam means Saffron oil.
Ayurveda regards Kumkuma/ Saffron as ‘red gold’. Why? Well, the ‘red’ is for its natural hue and the ‘gold’ is for just how valuable it is, both in monetary terms, as well as its benefits for one’s beauty and health! You must be wondering… if there are more than 20 ingredients in Kumkumadi face glowing oil, why then is it only named after saffron? The answer is simple. As stated, saffron is the most potent of all herbs present in Kumkumadi oil and also the highest in concentration.
Other Kumkumadi Tailam Ingredients
Kumkumadi Tailam Ingredients range from 21-28 in number. They all hold importance and have quite a few benefits of their own. Here are some of the ingredients that can be found in a bottle of kumkumadi face glowing oil (other than our favourite Kashmiri saffron!
- Chandan - Also known as sandalwood, this ingredient is well known for its heavenly, zen-like fragrance and its ability to calm and soothe one’s skin is something natural, especially during an acne breakout!
- Laksha - It’s a type of secretion harvested from a female beetle. It is known for its rejuvenating properties.
- Manjishtha - Often identified as Indian madder, this herb is revered for its ability to improve blood circulation, reduce pigmentation and calm inflammation in the skin.
- Til Tailam - Known as sesame oil, this ingredient (used as a delicious condiment throughout Asia) is the choice of carrier oil for kumkumadi tailam. It is packed with vitamin E and some antioxidants and is perfect for intense hydration.
- Yastimadhu - This Indian liquorice is one herb that may just be responsible for improving your skin’s texture. Its presence in kumkumadi face glowing oil is irreplaceable.
How is Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil prepared?
A careful blend of flowers, fruits, herbs, milk extracts, and plants is brought together to make a single decoction known as Kashaya. The volume of this Kashaya is then greatly reduced by a slow cooking process. The prepared decoction is then boiled along with sesame oil, and a little bit of goat’s milk (Ajaksheera) (the option of adding this differs from brand to brand). A wet, fine paste consisting of ayurvedic herbs is then added and the concoction is cooked further till it gets infuses each ingredient’s fragrance and qualities. Finally, the oil once cooled, is then bottled and is finally ready to be used as is or in addition to other skincare products.
Why is Saffron the Main Ingredient in Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil?
As suggested by its name, Saffron happens to the main and most important ingredient in Kumkumadi Tailam. But, what even is saffron? Saffron is red thread-like pollen particles which are hand-plucked (explains why kesar is so expensive!) from the saffron flower (a vibrant purple) which can be identified with its botanical name as ‘Crocus sativus’.
Why is Kesar the primary ingredient in kumkumadi face glowing oil? Because of its countless benefits, Kesar is the primary ingredient in Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil! Here are a few of the benefits of Kesar:
- Saffron threads are packed with antioxidants. These antioxidants are extremely important for the human skin as they delay cell degeneration meaning your skin remains youthful much longer. They also help in reducing texture on the face and slow down the onset of wrinkles, fine lines, and other blemishes too, people are likely to observe as they age.
- Saffron is known for its ability to brighten up the skin and potentially lighten one’s skin tone. This is because it is an anti-solar agent, meaning it's great for removing stubborn tan and can help with sun damage. No wonder kesar is a frequent addition to ubtans and ayurvedic face packs all over our country!
- The natural taasir of saffron is warm, which gives it its potency. Therefore,
- Saffron is inherently antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Meaning it can not only soothe inflammation and discomfort caused by pimples but can also prevent the onset of acne when used regularly.
- Kesar threads are great at aiding blood circulation which allows one’s pores to breathe better. The result? Perfectly glowing skin.
What are various Kumkumadi Tailam uses?
One may be tempted to think that Kumkumadi Tailam uses are limited only to the skin of one’s face but they’d be wrong! Infact, Kumkumadi face glowing oil is good for much more. Here are some of its versatile uses that could help you make the most of Kumkumadi Tailam:
- Moisturizer for the body - Out of moisturiser, but need to deal with dry limbs? Kumkumadi tailam to the rescue! Just mix 8-10 drops of your kumkumadi face glowing oil with 2-3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and use that as your moisturiser instead! Your skin will thank you.
- Homemade scrub/cleanser - Want to give your skin a break from all those toxic chemicals and preservatives in your commercial face washes? Make one at home instead! Take 2 drops of kumkumadi tailam face glowing oil, 2 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of fine sugar (optional) and 1 teaspoon of gram flour. Mix them till they’re well combined and use this paste the same way you would use an average cleanser.
- Primer before makeup - Have textured, uneven skin but don’t want to put heavy silicone-based primer on before your makeup? Use our kumkumadi face oil instead! It is known for retexturing your skin and the epidermis hydrated under your makeup!
- Add dewiness to your makeup look - Want a dewy makeup look but only have a matte foundation at hand? Worry not! Mix in a drop or two of this Kumkumadi face oil with your favourite matte-finish foundation and enjoy the dewiness & healthy shine it adds to your skin!
- Scar treatment - You know that expensive oil with commercial chemicals that claims to reduce scars? Kumkumadi tailam face glowing oil does that and more at a fraction of the price. It is also ayurvedic (so no side effects) and smells phenomenal!
- Serum for dry hair - Did you run out of your favourite hair serum? Are the ends of your hair looking super dry and dull? Just use the kumkumadi face glowing oil as a replacement instead! Its intensely hydrating properties can give the same bounce and lustrous to your hair all the while,making it pleasant fragrant!
- Homemade lip oil - You know those expensive lip oils from western luxury beauty brands? They look good, right? But they’re out of your budget? Same here! Well, good news! We can make those at home and it would cost a lot lesser than the overpriced versions you’d buy from stores. Scrape some pigment from a powder blush you like or from the rose-y, coral, bloody shades from an eyeshadow palette. Alternatively, you can also cut off a tiny bit of your favourite bullet lipstick and melt it in a nonstick pot. Using a brush, mix your pigment with 10 ml of kumkumadi face glowing oil and transfer it to a sterilized empty liquid lipstick bottle with a fresh applicator. Use concoction as your lip oil and ditch the expensive stuff!
What are some Kumkumadi Oil Benefits?
We’ve all wondered what the fuss is about, and why kumkumadi oil is so popular. Well, because it’s just that good. Here are some notable Kumkumadi Face glowing oil benefits:
- It evens out coarse textured skin
- It evens one’s skin tone
- It reduces dark spots and hyperpigmentation
- It treats sun damage
- It brightens one’s complexion
- It’s non-comedogenic and free of harmful radicals
- It induces better sleep and can contribute to reducing stress
Which Kumkumadi Face Glowing Oil should you choose
There are so many choices out there. So many brands, so many products and so many reviews. This overflow of information can throw even the best beauty connoisseurs into a dilemma and probably has you, twisted in a conundrum. Fret not! Here’s our recommendation if you’re on the hunt for a good saffron face oil: Blue Nectar’s Kumkumadi Radiance Glow Night Serum.
Kumkumadi Face Glowing oil has managed to rack up quite the image and rightfully so, it is a magic potion packed in a tiny glass bottle that can do wonders for your skin. It is a great replacement for almost all facial oils and is must try if you’re tempted by the secrets of ancient ayurvedic beauty! Remember to use it in the recommended dosage and do so regularly for maximum results!
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: