The moment you hear the word parabens, you think about words like unsafe and something which is not good for your skin but have you ever tried to find out what exactly are parabens? Read on to know each and everything about parabens and how they can affect your skin care routine. Also you will be able to understand why paraben free products are must have things to the skincare routine.
Almost every cosmetic product you use contains preservatives and parabens are one of those preservatives, they protect your cosmetics from going bad because of yeast, bacteria, and fungi. Apart from this, parabens give a good shell life plus PAO life, which makes personal care products safer to use. Since they are extremely effective plus also cost-effective, they are highly popular. Methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, and isobutylparaben are the parabens which are used in cosmetics. Parabens are generally utilized in levels less than 0.5% each, plus often a combination of parabens is utilized.
Now that you have a brief idea about parabens, let us tell you why you should avoid cosmetics with parabens.
- Allergic reactions: Parabens can cause a number of reactions to those people who have allergies. Parabens are known to cause skin irritation, they might even cause dermatitis, which is a serious kind of skin inflammation characterized by blisters, burning skin and rashes. This happens because they deeply penetrate into one's skin plus disrupt the functioning of hormones.
- Interference with the functioning of your endocrine system: Endocrine system is responsible for many bodily functions such as sleep, growth and development, metabolism and mood and this is why it is important that it should function properly. Parabens can interfere with glandular activity and hormone production. Although, there is evidence of how parabens causes harm but unfortunately they are still used in many personal care products.
- Prenatal concerns: Research shows that parabens are more dangerous if they are used during pregnancy. They can be absorbed into one's bloodstream and can make their way to the fetus.
- Premature ageing: Ironically, many personal care products containing parabens claim themselves as the best anti-ageing products. However, the reality is something different, parabens can cause your skin to age faster. Some kinds of parabens can actually worsen sun damage. This is why it is suggested that you must always go for paraben free creams.
- Increase estrogen production: Parabens can increase estrogen production leading to estrogen-positive breast cancer plus male fertility issues. Parabens can adversely affect the vitality of one's sperms.
- Side effects on your skin: Side effects of parabens on one's skin have been well-documented. The methyl kind of paraben can cause a lot of damage to your skin and even increases sensitivity towards the sun. So, if you apply skin care products which have parabens then your skin cells will die faster. The main aim of skin care products is to protect your skin and not damage it. So, you must only buy skin care products which are free from parabens.
- Environmental toxin: Apart from your skin, parabens can cause a lot of damage to the environment as well. Due to its widespread use, parabens have been found in soil, swimming pools, sewage water and house dust.