How Bhringraj Oil benefits your Hair in 5 ways
|Estimated Reading Time: 12 minutes|
Every day, we see people fussing and crying over hair loss due to stress, pollution and whatnot. Day in, day out, everyone talks about is, how much hair they’re losing… or at least, that’s what it feels like, right? But what comes after that? Let’s say you manage somehow to get your hair loss to stop. What then? One is likely to wonder how to grow out the hair they so sadly lost.
That’s where we come in! In today’s blog, we explore why and how one can and should use the Bhringraj oil to grow their hair. Is Bhringraj effective for hair treatment? Is this the best ayurvedic oil for hair out there? Who can use this ayurvedic hair oil? What beneficial results can be expected from this ayurvedic treatment for hair? Curious to know all the answers? Keep reading to find out!
What is Bhringraj Oil?
It is a type of herbal oil that is prepared with the Bhringraj plant and another carrier oil. This ayurvedic oil for hair is super popular as a treatment, and rightfully so! It helps even the most damaged roots to grow exponentially, boosts the speed if your hair growth and improves hair quality with ease.
How is this Ayurvedic Hair Oil made?
The leaves of the Bhringraj plant are plucked when they’re at their greenest and the plant is at its ripest with the most amount of hydration retaining capacity. The leaves are made sure to be freshly plucked and then go through several natural rounds of processing. Traditionally, the leaves are transferred to a mortar and ground down to a fine paste with a pestle by hand. This is now down at an industrial scale in oil-producing plants and skincare products factories. The fine paste then acts as the Bhringraj extract that is cooked with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or sweet almond oil at high temperatures and is then passed through a fine mesh sieve. The herb-infused oil is then treated with extra ingredients and herbs if necessary and finally, once completely cooled, it is transferred to sterile, clean bottles/jars where it is stored to be sold to the masses or reserved for personal use.
Is this better than other Ayurvedic Hair Oils?
We agree that what works for one person may not work for another so to claim that this ayurvedic oil for hair is better than all others can be a bit tricky.., but not impossible. We have to admit, that bhringraj makes for the best ayurvedic hair oil and is undeniably one of the most effective of all hair growth products. Some would without a doubt call it the best ayurvedic oil for hair growth to ever exist and they wouldn’t be completely wrong! The nourishing and boosting properties of Bhringraj have a fair amount of research to back up the claims of its effectiveness. Bhringraj on its own as an ingredient gaining popularity for its hair-growing properties stands among its popular ayurvedic fellows like methi, amla, etc. with pride. Don’t believe us? Give it a go yourself!
Benefits of using Bhringraj Oil?
Okay so we’ve been babbling about just how awesome this Bhringraj oil is for hair growth but what are some of its benefits? Here are a few that’ll help you strengthen and fast-track your decision of trying this ayurvedic hair oil:
- Easy to Use - When people read names of new ingredients or products, they naturally assume the product is to be used in a way they perhaps don't know, and that holds true sometimes but not with this Ayurvedic hair oil. It may have ingredients you've never used or heard of but it can be used the same way any other hair oil is!
- Gentle on the Roots - There are no added chemicals in good quality, unadulterated oil. Bhringraj itself is a very gentle yet powerful herb that treats your scalp and roots with the care they deserve.
- Grows Hair Fast - Extensive holistic research suggests that Bhringraj is one of the best oils that help fasten the growth of new, healthy hair at a pretty fast pace.
- Anti-microbial - Bhringraj is known for its antimicrobial properties that make it an excellent option for someone whose scalp is prone to fungal infections and bacterial growth, etc. (This is very common in people who sweat a lot, have an oily-type scalp with flaky dandruff)
- Anti-inflammatory - Much like your face, your scalp can also experience inflammation, Bhringraj has fantastic anti-inflammatory properties that calm your scalp and provide relief.
- Improves Hair Quality - Due to its nourishing properties, when applied through an oil, Bhringraj makes for great nourishment. Over time with continued usage, it exponentially improves the quality of new hair that grows.
5 DIY Recipes that use Bhringraj Oil for Hair Treatment
Alright, you know this ayurvedic oil for hair is absolutely amazing, so how do you use it? What are some fun, versatile ways you can incorporate this ayurvedic hair oil into your haircare routine to reap all of its wonderful benefits? You ask, and we deliver! The following are 5 ways you can get the DIY best hair treatment with bhringraj oil through easy-to-follow DIY home remedies:
1.Homemade Bringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil for Extreme Hair Loss - Bringadi Oil is the ultimate boss-level oil for hair growth and uses Bhringraj as the primary ingredient. Lots of Ayurvedic brands offer their own Bringadi concoctions but it's pretty easy to make at home too!
Ingredients: ½ litre Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil, 2 tablespoons dana methi (soaked fenugreek seeds), 2 fresh amlas (Indian gooseberry: can use a powdered form for convenience), and 1 bloomed hibiscus flower (can use hibiscus powder too).
Procedure: In a pot, pour in your oil and heat it till it starts to bubble slightly. Add the rest of your ingredients and bring to a full boil. Reduce the flame and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes, keep stirring to ensure your ingredients don't burn. Take off the heat and let it cool completely. Once cool, strain the oil and separate the ingredients, use them for compost or something else. Transfer the strained oil to a sterilised glass bottle and store it in a cool, dry spot, away from sunlight. Its shelf life with fresh ingredients is 2-3 weeks but if you use dried versions (though they may not be as effective), you can use it for 5-6 weeks.
Usage: Use your homemade Bringadi oil the same way you'd use another hair oil. Repeat 1-2 times a week. Wash off with shampoo after 2-3 hours or overnight (if that suits your scalp).
2.Anti-Dandruff Nourishing Hair Mask - Nothing treats dandruff like a good hair mask and what could possibly make it better than some nourishing oil?
Ingredients: 2 teaspoons of Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil, 3 tablespoons of yoghurt, 3-4 drops of tea tree essential oil, and a small nub of fresh ginger (grated).
Process: Mix all of your ingredients in a small, clean bowl till they're well combined.
Usage: Using your hand, apply this mask to your hair and massage it well into your scalp. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash off with a good shampoo (preferably anti-dandruff) and room-temperature water. Do this once every week till dandruff clears, then once a month for maintenance.
3.Quick Growth Hair Pack - Oil massages aren't the only way to grow your hair quickly. You could get similar results with a hair pack too. Here's one such recipe that works for a lot of people and we think you should give it a go!
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons of Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil, 1 small onion pureed, and 3-4 drops of rosemary oil.
Process: Mix all of your ingredients in a small, clean bowl till they're well combined.
Usage: Using your hand, apply the pack to your hair and massage it well into your scalp. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash off with some shampoo (anti-hair fall for extra protection) and warm water. Do this once every week for steady hair growth.
4.Conditioning Rinse for Fast-growing, Soft & Healthy Hair - In the spirit of growing hair with new creative methods, now you can get the goodness of oil without a proper massage too! Here is what you need to do…
Ingredients: 2 teaspoons of Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil, Water (depending on your hair length; 1 litre should be enough for medium-long hair), 2-3 teaspoons of tea leaves, and 2 tablespoons of distilled vinegar.
Process: Pour all your ingredients into a large pot and place them on the stove. Bring the concoction to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool completely. Strain the liquid and separate it from the tea granules (use those for compost).
Usage: Use the liquid as a conditioning rinse post-shampoo for healthy, shiny and nourished hair that grows super fast.
5.Non-Greasy Ayurvedic Hair Oil for Growth - Okay so admitted there are many ways to grow your hair but… we all agree that a good champi is admittedly the best way! However, the same thick oil that works for someone with a dry scalp may not work for your oily scalp. What to do then? Use a thinner oil instead. This recipe right calls for you to make your Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil, so exciting!
Ingredients: A handful of leaves of the Bhringraj plant, ½ litre of any oil of choice with a thin consistency (sweet almond oil is usually great).
Process: Grind your Bhringraj leaves in a mortar and pestle to a fine paste and add the paste to a pot filled with any thin carrier oil. Bring the mix to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between to prevent burning. Strain the oil through a mesh sieve to remove any chunks/lumps and transfer to a sterile container once cool.
Usage: Use this oil for up to 4 weeks and massage it onto your scalp as you would any other Ayurvedic hair oil. Repeat once every week for steady hair growth.
Tips to Get the Best Ayurvedic Hair Oil Treatment
- Slightly warm up the oil before application. The temperature allows the hair follicles on your scalp to open up, which in turn lets the oil penetrate deeper. The warmth also gives a calming sensation and relaxes your body and reduces stress.
- Add a few drops of tea tree and/or ginger essential oil if you have dandruff. Although Bhringraj in itself has dandruff-treating properties, adding either or both of these essential oils will boost your oil’s ability to get rid of annoying & persistent dandruff.
- Comb your hair before you apply the oil. After you’ve finished your oil massage, your hair will be a bit weak for a while. If you comb your hair then, you’ll only increase the amount of hair you lose. And if you wash uncombed hair, your hair will get super matted and be a pain when you attempt to detangle it post-wash. The result? Even more hair fall. So, just detangle your hair prior to the champi session for a seamless experience.
- If you can find one, use a nozzle-applicator attachment to supply the oil straight to your roots. Sure, you can apply the oil straight from a container to your head using your fingertips, but… in the process, you’ll end up over-oiling. A lot of oil will grab onto hair closer to the roots and very little will actually reach your scalp. Using a nozzle-applicator will make sure the oil goes straight to the scalp and your roots don’t end up unmanageably greasy!
- Use your fingertips to properly massage the oil in. Do this for at least 10 minutes.
- Turn your head upside down for a minute or two and massage your head in this stance. The gravity will increase the blood flow and boost hair growth naturally. This can be down randomly during the day as well when you aren’t using oil.
- Introduce your hair to some steam. If you have a cosmetic steamer, use that or heat up some water in a large pot and keep your head close by in a manner that a significant amount of steam goes to your head. Be careful and don’t burn yourself though! The heat from the steam will open up your hair follicles further and will ensure the oil goes to the deepest possible end of your roots, facilitating better nourishment. Your hair will be pretty weak after this, so don’t fiddle too much to avoid any unnecessary hair loss.
- Keep your oil for 2-3 hours. This is just the perfect amount of time! Not too much and certainly not too less. It’s the sweet spot where it gives enough time for the oil to do its work effectively but not so much time that fungal growth and dandruff can act up again.
- While washing, focus on cleansing the scalp more and don’t fiddle with the ends. Most of your hair’s natural oil is concentrated near the roots meaning your ends almost always end up dry. When you wash only the scalp, the residual suds clean the lengths and ends enough without removing any oil necessary to keep your hair soft.
- Skip heavily-scented chemical conditioners. Those chemical conditioners don’t do your hair any favours! Skip them and instead, apple the smallest amount (like a drop or two) of the same Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil to your ends and later to the lengths when you come out of the shower.
- Avoid heat-tools. Heat tools are the number-one enemy of your hair health. They cause a lot of damage that is often irreversible. You’re likely to end up losing even more hair if you continue using them. So just your hair airdry. But, if you must use heat, make sure to spritz some protectant on your hair beforehand to prevent damage.
- Repeat the whole process 1-2 times a week.
We’re confident you know practically everything about Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil from what recipes to use for your hair, to what precautions to take and everything in between. Growing hair fast and naturally no longer has to be just wishful thinking. Through the wonders of Ayurveda, it is now possible to use oil therapy hair treatments to get unparalleled results for your hair. If you’re on the hunt for some good quality Bhringraj ayurvedic hair oil and find yourself confused with so many options in the market, simply check out Blue Nectar’s Briganantadi Hair Fall Control Oil to reduce hair loss and Blue Nectar’s Briganantadi Hair Repair and Treatment Oil to grow your hair! Share this blog with someone who might find it helpful and stay tuned for more beauty & wellness tips! Until next time…