What is Bhringraj Oil?
|Estimated reading Time - 7 minutes|
The modern-day life of a person is no less than a horror show in today’s time. We’re stressed, burnt out, and overworked and as much as we’d like to deny it, all these exhaustion shows. For some of us, it results in dark circles and under-eye bags, others see it as loss of appetite, inability to sleep and so on. But, the most common and the most annoying outcome is always… hair fall.
It happens at the most inopportune times and often leaves us feeling desperate and helpless. This, however, can be easily dealt with if you rely on ayurvedic secrets, especially our favorite ayurvedic oil for hair, “bhringraj oil”! Using bhringraj oil as the main ingredient, one can create the best ayurvedic oil for hair to be used on its own or in hair treatment remedies.
Also known as karisalankanni or false daisy, the Bhringraj is a herbaceous plant that is found mostly in countries like Brazil, China, Thailand, and of course… none other than the very origin of Ayurveda, India! It commonly grows as a weed in marshy lands and hedges in the more tropical regions of the country.
According to ayurvedic literature, bhringraj (scientific name: eclipta alba) has many benefits in ayurvedic applications, such as improving eyesight, reducing headaches, promoting healthy skin, but most importantly it works well for hair. Bhringraj oil is used as an ayurvedic oil for hair. Though, in this blog, we will largely focus on its benefits for your hair and how it can help prevent or curb hair fall, it is important to note that Bhringraj oil has brilliant medicinal qualities that make it a memorable and useful ingredient in a lot of home remedies for health ailments, often targeted specifically towards the liver such as cirrhosis, ineffective hepatitis, etc.
People back in the time would use Bhringraj extract to prepare the ayurvedic oil for hair and also Bhringraj was used for skin infections, inflammation on the scalp, hair treatment, etc.
Nutritional Content of Bhringraj Oil
- Though we and all the other Ayurveda enthusiasts all over the world rave about the potency of Bhringraj oil as well as its versatility and deem it to be the best ayurvedic oil for hair, you should know why we’re such huge fans. A closer look at the nutritional value of this concoction can affirm its usefulness and explain just why everyone loves it all that much!
- Calcium - Bhringraj oil aids the secretion of androgen hormones and biotin enzymes in the body, both of which are vital for the growth of healthy hair as well as better absorption of iron.
- Iron - Our bodies produce hemoglobin with the help of iron. This protein in our red blood cells carries oxygen to other cells in our body to help them grow, including our hair.
- Magnesium - Bhringraj oil is essential for the production of various proteins in your body that help with hair growth. Magnesium is also known to induce better sleep, so it’s a win-win!
- Vitamins D & E - Many studies show just how important vitamins are for hair growth. People lacking the right amount of vitamins and other nutrients like zinc in their bodies can observe hair thinning, or early-onset hair loss.
Good Changes You’re Likely to Observe Post Usage
We’ve been rambling on for a bit now and hope that you can see just why we like Bhringraj oil so much as an ayurvedic oil for hair. If you still need some more convincing, here is a list of all the good changes you may notice after your hair treatment with quite possibly the best ayurvedic oil for hair:
- The speed of your hair growth will increase. You’ll also notice an improvement in the quality of your hair.
- You’ll stop losing as much hair (and sleep!). Knowing that your hair is well taken care of, you’ll probably sleep better.
- You may be able to reverse the premature graying of your hair.
- Your scalp will be free of dandruff and infections.
- Your headaches will be less frequent and there will most likely be a drop in your stress levels too.
The Best Ayurvedic Oil for Hair Treatment
Now that you’re convinced of the amazing benefits of Bhringraj oil and finally want to try it out for yourself, it’s time to choose. Which specific oil should you use? Should you purchase a commercially produced one or an ayurvedic hair oil? Are hair oils from ayurvedic brands affordable? Is one brand better than the other?
There are a lot of ayurvedic brands on the market that sell their versions of ayurvedic oil for hair. And while these decoctions are largely helpful, choosing one can be difficult. So keep the following pointers in mind while contemplating your purchase:
- Buying bhringraj oil from the market can save you a lot of time. If you’re someone who’s always busy but still wants to improve the quality of your hair, buy it from a brand you love and trust.
- If you’re just starting to explore Ayurvedic brands, it can be helpful to do your research by reading customer reviews.
- Compare ingredient lists to make sure you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Compare price differences between various high-end as well as affordable brands and see what comfortably fits your budget.
As for what we recommend, you could opt for Blue Nectar’s Briganantadi Hair Repair & Treatment Oil if you’re looking to improve and speed up the growth of your hair. And, if your concern is the health of your scalp, reducing hair fall, and maintaining the overall health of your scalp, you should choose an ayurvedic oil for hair with a light, a non-greasy formula like Blue Nectar’s Briganantadi Hair Fall Control and Healthy Scalp Oil.
How to Prepare Bhringraj Oil at Home?
If you’re someone who likes things a bit more au naturale and wants to prepare your Bhringraj oil at home, the following is a full description of how to do so.
Ingredients: Two handfuls of Bhringraj leaves (2 tablespoons of Bhringraj powder if you can’t access the leaves), 5-7 dried/dehydrated pure Amla pieces (optional), 10-15 neem leaves (optional), 3 tablespoons Kalonji seeds (Nigella/onion seeds), and 1 liter of cold-pressed Coconut Oil of choice (you can also use almond oil).
- Soak bhringraj, amla, neem, and kalonji in cold water and leave them covered with a cotton cloth overnight.
- The next morning, remove the soaked herbs from the water and grind them to a smooth paste. You can use an electric blender, but we recommend using a mortar & pestle. It will yield a better and more potent Kashayam (decoction).
- In a large pot, pour in your cold-pressed coconut oil and put it on the stove on low heat till it starts to bubble slightly. Please ensure that your oil does not burn.
- Once small bubbles start forming. Add your kashayam to your oil and cook the herbs slowly on the lowest heat possible for an hour.
- Take your pot off the heat once the oil turns a darker shade and let it cool completely. Transfer to a glass jar and store it in a cool, dry spot away from sunlight.
- Use it to massage your scalp twice a week before using shampoo. Continue usage as needed.
Precautions to Take While Using Bhringraj Oil
- Do not ingest it orally.
- Do a patch test before using.
- Make sure your oil is stored in a sterilized glass jar and kept in a cool, dark place. This will help elongate its shelf life.
- If preparing your bhringraj oil at home, use it only for 4-6 weeks. This reduces the chances of bacterial growth.
If you’ve read thus far, you’re finally aware of all the wonderful things Bhringraj oil can do for you and your hair. It truly is a miraculous product of all the wondrous knowledge imparted to the world from the teaching of Ayurveda. If you’re suffering from hair fall or know someone else who is, sharing the information from this blog may help a great deal in preserving confidence, and you might even learn a new skill of making herbal, ayurvedic oil for hair at home!
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: