Benefits of Honey
|Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes|
Honey, the sweet thick golden liquid is a natural sweetener and has been used for centuries. In ancient times, honey has been used not only as a sweetener but also as medicine and for beauty treatments. It was known as the nectar of the gods. There are two types of honey available in the market. They are raw honey and regular honey. Though, benefits of honey are the same, it would be wise to know the difference between the two.
- Raw Honey - The honey that comes directly from the beehive is unprocessed, unpasteurized and unheated. This is the raw honey. The raw honey is a storehouse of all the enzymes, minerals and vitamins. It also contains anti-fungal and anti-viral properties that may not be available in regular honey.
- Regular Honey – The honey that you buy off-the-shelf is processed and will not contain the impurities such as pollens. The raw honey is heated to a certain temperature to refine and purify it. When the honey is pasteurized it has a smooth texture and uniform color. While the raw honey is milky and have granules that melts when dropped in warm water. Regular honey may not contain the enzymes and vitamins as pasteurization kills it.
How to differentiate between raw honey and the regular one
- Drop a spoonful of honey into a glass of water. While raw honey settles at the bottom before dissolving, the regular one dissolves almost immediately.
- Another way to test is to, place a drop of honey on the thumb. If it spreads without dripping, then its raw honey.
- The raw honey crystalizes after a few months while the processed one stays like a syrup.
Why is honey used in cosmetics and beauty products?
Honey is used in the beauty products and in beauty treatments because of the following properties.
- Anti-aging properties- The golden liquid is a storehouse of anti-oxidants that slows down the aging process.
- Natural anti-septic honey helps open the pores on the face, thus making it a natural ayurvedic face wash.
- Anti-tanner- This golden liquid is a natural moisturizer and anti-tanner. Honey for face to get glowing skin. It removes the blemishes caused by acne.
- Anti-bacterial- The antibacterial property of honey makes it’s a natural ingredient in acne treatments.
Let’s take a deeper look into the uses of honey for face as a beauty ingredient.
Benefits of honey for your skin
- Deeply moisturize the skin
Honey is a base ingredient in reputed beauty products is because of its ability to moisturize the skin. The enzymes in this golden liquid seep deep into the skin and conditions it. This makes the skin soft and supple.
- Fights acne and aids in removing acne scars
You can apply honey directly on the skin in a fine layer. It opens the pores and absorbs the impurities. Being a natural ayurvedic face wash and anti-septic agent, it soothes and heal the broken skin. Remember honey for face is a natural anti-septic as well as a natural moisturiser. Apply a concoction of coconut/olive oil and honey on the scars. Place a warm towel on the face and allow it to sit until cool. Make this a regular ritual to get rid of the scars due to acne. The anti-oxidants help repair the damaged skin making it soft and blemish free.
- Anti-wrinkle agent
Honey for face is the main ingredient in many of the anti-aging and anti-wrinkle masks. The anti-oxidant properties of the nectar help delay aging skin. Since it seeps deep into the skin, it preserves the moisture. To get clear, smooth and hydrated and wrinkle free skin, use honey or honey based facial products regularly. However, you should also be aware there is no permanent cure for wrinkles. Honey for face only helps in delaying the wrinkles.
- Natural Exfoliating Face Scrub
If you wish to remove the dead skin and the black or white heads on your nose, make a concoction with a couple of spoons of honey and a spoon of baking soda. After washing your face with ayurvedic face wash, apply this on your face. Use your finger tips to massage your face in circular motion. Leave it for a few minutes before rinsing well. Honey not only exfoliates the facial skin but also removes the tan.
- Used in the treatment of sunburns
Honey is the best remedy to treat not only sunburns but any types of burns. It helps reduce the inflammation and repairs the damaged tissues. Make a mixture of honey and Aloe Vera gel and apply it on the sunburnt skin.
- Repairs chapped lips
Winter is the time when your lips get chapped. To get back your soft and supple lips, dab some honey on the cracked lips before going to bed. You can also use some honey for face and salt granules to exfoliate the skin on the lips. However, wash it off after massaging your lips with your fingertips.
- Repairs damaged nail bed and cuticle
If you have been sick for a long time or if you have a habit of biting your nails, there is a possibility of your cuticle and the nail bed getting damaged. The best treatment to repair the nail bed is to dip your fingers in a mixture of one teaspoon honey, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing off. This will strengthen the nails and prevents it from breaking.
- Honey as a makeup remover
If you are someone who indulges in heavy make-up, you should consider using a Ayurvedic Face Wash with honey as the base ingredient. If your skin is prone to pimple or acne, then it’s always wise to go for acne or pimple specific ayurvedic face wash that is laced with honey and essential oils. Else, you can make your own cleanser at home. Mix honey and coconut oil well make a solvent. If you have essential oils such as lavender or tea tree add a few drops. Gently massage this mixture into your face to remove the heavy makeup. Honey will not only moisturize the skin but also repair the damaged skin. Additionally, it prevents the outbreak of pimples or acne.
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: