|Estimated Reading Time: 6 minutes
Welcome to your go-to guide for baby's dry skin! Discover expert massage techniques and nourishing baby oil for your little one's softest skin. Let's nurture your baby's well-being together.
Babies often have dry skin, which is normal. Let's understand why and how to handle it. When babies are born, they have a creamy layer called vernix caseosa on their skin. Doctors or midwives clean this off, exposing the skin.
As time passes, the top layer of skin dries and comes off. Experts suggest that in the first month, babies don't need lotions. But if you want to massage your baby, check with a good doctor first and use natural or ayurvedic baby oil.
Table of Content:
Factors That Cause Dry Skin in Babies
When the skin loses its moisture, it results in dry skin. This leads to peeling and cracking of the skin. If proper care is not given at this stage, it can lead to severe skin issues for the babies in the long run. Let's have a look at the external factors that cause dry skin in babies -
- Weather conditions - If a baby is winter born, the cold and dry weather will play havoc with your munchkin's skin. The use of room heaters will rob the skin of its moisture. Similarly, the dry heat and overexposure to the sun in summer will dry the baby's skin. The air conditioner also robs the skin of its natural moisture.
- Long bath time -Remember, the baby's skin is very tender. Giving them a long wash will rob the infant of moisture because the natural oils secreted by the sebaceous glands will be washed away.
- Using soaps -It is wise to avoid using medicated or non-baby soaps as it can lead to dry skin. Make body packs at home using natural ingredients such as gram flour, sandal paste, saffron, kumkumadi tailam, and milk cream. A best baby massage oil is the best treat for the baby.
Symptoms of Dry Skin in Babies
There are many reasons behind dry skin in a newborn and toddlers. Let’s take a quick look at some of the most common symptoms of dry skin in babies.
- Skin will appear overstretched and tight
- White scales and dry red patches on the hands and legs
- The skin flakes off when rubbed
- The texture of the skin is rough and scaly
- You will also notice fine to deep cracks on the soles, skin near the toes. If it's severe, it may even bleed once in a while
Tips and Techniques for Baby Massage
One of the best remedies to get rid of the dry skin on the baby is to give a lovely baby massage using ayurvedic baby oil or baby lotion. You can also use natural oils such as coconut, olive, or almond. A good baby massage will get rid of dry skin and help the baby sleep better. A good baby massage will also reduce irritability in babies. Remember, as a parent, you will discover that your loved one has a favourite area where they like to be massaged. Let's go through the following simple tips to find your little one's sweet spot.
- Don't be intimidated by baby massage. No new mom is an expert.
- There is no specific or ideal time for a baby massage. However, if you use baby oil or any natural oils, massage half an hour before the bath and allow the oil to seep into the skin. If you're using baby lotion, the perfect time would be after a bath. Pat dry the body and gently massage the baby.
- A most important point to remember for a baby massage is to use rhythmic strokes when massaging the baby.
- Take baby oil or lotion in your palm, rub your hands together to warm the liquid, and gently start massaging. Start with the forehead and move downwards.
- Begin by gently massaging the forehead, temples, and the bottom of the skull. Now stroke the eyebrows and eyelids, the bridge of the nose, around the mouth, behind the ears and cheeks. Remember that baby massage has to be gentle and soft.
- While massaging the baby, use both your hands, lightly dip in baby oil and give light pressure on her legs, thighs, and toes. Massage the heel using circular motions while caressing each toe.
- Remember to flex the baby's knees and legs gently. This action will push the thighs against the upper body.
- Gently, get the baby on her stomach. For this, you need to sit on the bed or floor, stretch your legs, and put your baby on your legs with the stomach down.
- Then massage around the back of the head, neck, back, and legs should have large movements in one direction. However, do not press the spine of the infant.
- Caress the armpit and work your way down the arm. The elbows are very sensitive, so be very careful while doing the baby massage
Choosing the Right Baby Oil for Massaging the Baby
Choosing the right baby oil is as essential as the baby massage. You must determine whether the baby is sensitive to a particular oil by simply applying it to their arms. Let’s quickly walk through the list of oils used for baby massage to treat a baby's dry skin.
- Coconut oil -The skin absorbs this oil, and has a cooling effect. Coconut oil is one of the best baby oils for all skin types. It’s also used to treat dry skin, rashes, eczema, and patchy skin.
- Mustard Oil -Dilute this oil with carrier oils such as coconut oil. Warm this oil; add a few garlic cloves, carom and fenugreek seeds. Garlic boosts the immune system, while fenugreek helps relax the body. Carom seeds help soothe stomach pains when applied on the tummy and near the navel.
- Almond oil -Use pure, cold-pressed oil instead of fragrant ones. This oil is loaded with Vitamin E and thus works wonderfully well as a baby oil.
- Olive Oil -Use this oil only if the baby's skin is not sensitive. If it has rashes or other allergies, avoiding this oil is wise.
It’s always wise to reach out to ayurveda when looking for baby oil. These ayurvedic baby oils are natural and free of any artificial or synthetic fragrances. If it’s available in the pharmacies in your area, go and grab this oil for your baby's massage. Else, you can always choose one from any of the e-commerce shopping sites like www.amazon.in where it’s easily available.
In conclusion, you can effectively address dryness by understanding your newborn's skin and its natural development. While experts recommend avoiding lotions initially, a gentle, doctor-approved massage with natural or ayurvedic baby oil can offer nourishment. Prioritizing your baby's skin health through safe and informed choices sets the foundation for their overall well-being.
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: