|Estimated Reading Time: 11 minutes|
Winters are here and so is the time to soak in the winter sun. Having the warmth of sun rays during the chilly winter months is a soothing experience. But the joy of this experience gets dampened by the suntan, pigmentation, and dark tone that our skin acquires with the long sitting hours in the winter sun and the dilemma of how to remove tanning on face and body.
Why does skin get tan in winter –
Tanning can be explained as the darkening of skin color due to excessive exposure to UV rays present in the sunlight. It is a widely prevalent myth that more sunlight causes more suntan. Additionally, we tend to think that sun rays are more harmful to the skin in summer than in winter.
But the reality is that the winter sun is as powerful as the summer sun. And tanning is caused by UV rays, not by excessive sunlight. This is why the winter sun, even being less dominant in sun rays, remains the potent source of UV rays in winter. As a result, your skin is equally prone to sun tan in winter, as in summer.
Moreover, it is scientifically proven that to protect our skin from damaging UV rays, our skin tends to produce additional pigmentation during winter. Therefore, our skin shows more signs of pigmentation, and the dark patches become more potent and visible.
In winter the skin becomes dry and lacks moisture. Harsh air, low humidity, and constant use of indoor heaters can wipe out the water content from your skin. Also, skin with low hydration is not able to nourish itself. Thus, dry and undernourished skin can accelerate the tanning even more.
How to avoid skin darkening in winter-
We all crave winter sunlight even in its slightest appearance. There is no denying the fact that it not only energizes our mood but also provides us with the essential vitamin D to boost our immunity. So, a good amount of sunlight in winter is essential but excessive of it can darken your skin.
Here are some ways whereby you can soak in the sunlight without making your skin dark and tanned.
- Avoid taking an extremely hot shower, instead, go for a lukewarm shower that can be relaxing on the skin and doesn’t make your skin dry.
- Avoid exposing yourself to direct sunlight. Either going outdoors or soaking in the sun, try to sit in a shade where the sun's rays are moderate on your skin. If you cannot avoid direct sun, use a good SPF cream, with SPF 30+.
- While enjoying the sunlight, try wearing clothes that fully cover your body. Long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks, and woolen clothes will add a protective layer to your skin which can prevent direct exposure to sunlight.
- Use sunscreen daily. Make it an essential part of your skincare routine. Even if you are at home and the weather is cloudy, sunscreen is a must to ensure protection from UV rays.
- Moisturize regularly. The dry winter weather drains the water content from your body and makes your skin more vulnerable to sun tan. Apply a gentle dry skin moisturizer and lotion on your face and body to humidify your skin.
- Hydration- We tend to drink less water in the winter season. Avoid making this mistake. A good amount of water keeps the skin cells hydrated all the time. As a result, your skin becomes resilient against the bad impact of UV rays.
- Use a home remedy to remove tan such as ubtan or nalpamaradi thailam.
Here comes the most important question – how to remove tanning on face and what is the best home remedy to remove tan. Buckle up, here is the answer to this:
Easy hacks and home remedy to remove tan-
If you are also looking for a home remedy to remove tan, but don’t dare to cope with the winter laziness, here are some easy hacks of how to remove tanning on face and body, with less pain and fewer ingredients -
- Potato slice home remedy to remove tan- Potato is the easiest available ingredient at home and the easiest home remedy to remove tan. Slice a raw potato and rub it on the tanned area. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash it with normal water. Potatoes contain catecholate enzyme which lightens the skin tone. Also, they are rich in vitamin B which is healthy for the skin.
- Tomato home remedy to remove tan - Tomato is another quick home remedy to remove tan. Cut tomato into 3-4 slices. Gently rub it on your face and hands. Leave it for 5 minutes and wash your face with water. If you are constantly worried about how to remove tanning on face, pick up a tomato slice from your salad bowl and rub it on your face. Easy peasy!!
- Sugar Scrub home remedy to remove tan - Add some lemon juice in 1 tbsp of sugar. Apply it on the face and hands. Rub it in a circular motion. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash your face. This homemade sugar face scrub not just exfoliates the skin but is also an easy home remedy to remove tan and have a clear skin.
- Papaya mask home remedy to remove tan - Mash a portion of ripe papaya. Add homey to it. Gently give it a mix and apply the thick paste to your face. Massage in a circular motion. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash it with normal water. You will have fresh and bright skin.
- Cucumber home remedy to remove tan - Slice a cucumber and rub it on your face and arms. It has vitamin c which heals the skin from within. Cucumber is not only a home remedy to remove tan but also provides a cooling effect to sunburns.
- Aloe vera gel home remedy to remove tan - Aloe vera extracts are infused with medicinal and anti-bacterial properties. This helps in protection from harmful UV rays. Apply aloe vera gel home remedy to remove tan on the face and hands and massage till it gets absorbed into the skin. Wash the remaining part with normal water and get the best solution on how to remove tanning on face and body.
How to remove tanning on face and on hands -
If there was a vote for the most talked about question among girls in winter, “How to remove tanning on face” would have topped for sure. Even men can be seen asking for a perfect yet quick home remedy to remove tan. Here are the answers-
- Lemon and honey homemade remedy to remove tan -
In India, any home remedy to remove tan starts with the kitchen and lemons can be found easily in your kitchen. So, to leverage this benefit of the homemade de tan recipe, prepare a mixture of one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with a few drops of honey to it.
Apply this homemade remedy to remove tan on the face and hands. You can increase the quantity while applying it to arms. Leave it for half an hour and rinse it with lukewarm water. Don’t forget to apply a dry skin moisturizer after washing it off.
- Raw milk homemade remedy to remove tan -
This single magical ingredient can be used on days when you don’t have the time to prepare a tan removal pack for face. It's just a refrigerator away. Pour some raw milk into a bowl. Grab a cotton ball and soak it in the milk. Now gently dab it this home remedy to remove tan all over the face. Let it stay until it is fully absorbed. Wash the face with lukewarm water or gently clean it with a mild cleanser like ayurvedic face wash.
You can also use raw milk with Blue Nectar’s ubtan powder to increase its effectiveness.
You can directly apply a sliced tomato on your face to remove suntan. However, it can be mixed with many other ingredients which can strengthen its power to de-tan.
You can add 1 teaspoon of oatmeal and 1 teaspoon of yogurt to a thick tomato pulp and get a perfect home remedy to remove tan. Apply it evenly on the face. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with a mild cleanser.
Tomato pulp can also be used with lemon juice, turmeric, and rice powder for tan removal.
- Kumkumadi scrub-
This scrub is ideal for the busiest days. All you need to do is mix Kumkumadi tailam either with 1 tbsp gram flour or walnut powder. For a smooth application of it, first, dampen your face with some water and gently massage it on your face. Leave it for 5 minutes and wash your face with lukewarm water. Blue Nectar has a ready to use Kumkumadi Scrub, which is gentle on your skin and is non-drying too.
Best tan removal pack for face
Instead of buying de-tan products that are infused with excessive chemicals and mineral oils, it is better to include an organic and natural tan removal pack for face, in your skincare routine.
Let’s discuss a few tan removal pack for face, which are the quickest and best home remedy to remove tan-
Homemade ubtan or ready-to-buy Blue Nectar’s Ubtan face pack-
Apart from being an age-old concoction widely used in Indian weddings, Ubtan powder is a go-to recipe to have an in-house face pack for glowing skin and a home remedy to remove tan.
Haldi (Turmeric) or Nalpamaradi Thailam (Turmeric Oil)
Besan (Gram flour)
Skin brightening oil (Kumkumadi Tailam)
Rose Face Water
How to prepare- Take 4 tbsp gram flour, 1 tbsp sandalwood powder, and ¼ tbsp turmeric powder in a bowl. Add a few saffron threads to it. Your ubtan powder is ready. You can add neem powder to it if you have acne issues.
To make a tan removal pack for face with ubtan powder, add a few drops of rose face water or milk to it. To boost its richness, you can add a few drops of Kumkumadi Tailam or Nalpamaradi tailam to it which will give an ultra-smooth texture to your ubtan.
Did you know that Nalpamaradi Thailam is the best home remedy to remove tan.
How to apply- Take the desired amount at your finger tips. Apply it on the face using both hands. Let it stay for 30 minutes. Once it is dried, wash it off gently with lukewarm water. You can follow this process twice a week. Don’t forget to apply a skin brightening oil such as Kumkumadi Tailam, after washing, so that your skin gets the required amount of hydration and glow.
Quick tip- If you also juggle between work and daily chores and don’t get enough time to prepare a face pack for glowing skin , you can also go with Blue Nectar’s Ubtan face pack for glowing skin. With the rich properties of turmeric, star anise, and Multani mitti, this Ubtan pack is a favourite of brides and newly married. It This face pack for glowing skin helps to de-tan and brighten the face and provides a perfect glow and radiance to the face.
Multani mitti face pack for glowing skin-
This natural clay powder with its anti-inflammatory properties helps in soothing the skin and provides fresh skin. It is widely used for de-tan and is also good for hair.
Rose face water
How to prepare- To make a face pack for glowing skin add Multani mitti with rose face water if you have oily skin. For dry skin mix it with raw milk. Add some sandalwood powder and form a smooth paste.
How to apply- Use a beauty brush to apply it evenly on the face and hands. Let it stay for 15-20 minutes. Wah it with lukewarm water. Don’t use soap or cleanser immediately. Let your skin settle. You can apply a few drops of Kumkumadi tailam afterward to avoid dryness and accelerate the de-tan process.
Quick tip- Apart from rose water you can mix Multani mitti with tomato pulp or lemon drops to increase its effectiveness. Multani mitti benefits skin in many ways including removing tanning on face and giving it a fresh and clean look.
Nalpamaradi tailam and Besan face pack for glowing skin-
The ayurvedic formula of Nalpamaradi tailam gives a quick dose of nutrients to your skin. It is ideal home remedy to remove tan and delivers brightness and glow to your skin. A tan removal pack for face with Nalpamaradi Tailam is suitable for all skin types.
How to prepare- Take some besan in a bowl. Add Nalpamaradi tailam to it. If you think that the face pack is not enough smooth you can add rose face water to it to thinner the consistency. You can also add ¼ tbsp sandalwood powder to it.
How to apply- Take a gentle amount of the face pack for glowing skin and apply it on the face and arms. Let it dry. Rinse it with water. Your skin might feel a bit dry, so it is recommended to apply some moisturizing cream or kumkumadi oil immediately after washing the face.
Quick tip- While removing the besan pack, don’t rub harshly. Instead, make your palms dampen with a few drops of Kumkumadi tailam or any other skin brightening oil and rub the remaining dry besan left on the skin.
Try to make all the abovementioned home remedies remedy to remove tan , a routine to your winter lifestyle.
And next time when your girl squad asks how to remove tanning on face, don’t miss the chance to be their guiding light with your bundle of de-tanning hacks.
Till then embrace the tan, enjoy the slanted light and make the best of shorter days.
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: