|Estimated Reading Time: 9 minutes|
The market is flooded with the several hair care products nowadays, hair serum and hair spray being few of them. It can get confusing sometimes to choose the correct product for a certain purpose. While a product with instant result can be a savior, it is important to wisely choose the products for long term use as it affects the health of your hair. There is a common confusion people may have between the hair serum and hair spray. But let me tell you, they are two distinct hair products with very different uses and results. The article throws light on how to use each of them for the best results in hair care.
What is a hair serum?
Hair serum is a liquid - based product that is often prepared with silicones and is aimed to form a coat on the surface of the hair to assist impart shine, smoothness, hydration, humidity, and pollution protection. This smooth layer can reflect the light, giving your hair a lustrous, non-greasy finish. Hair serums can potentially eliminate the need to use the straighteners.
Hair serums, which may be used on wet or dry hair, can be a finishing product on a casual day and a pre-styling product when you're all set to pep-up.
Different hair serums are appropriate for different hair types, ranging from coarse to fine. Hair serums often contain silicone with active compounds that provide nourishment to the hair. Ayurvedic oils for hair like Jojoba oil, argan oil, Moringa oil, sunflower oil, almond oil, aloe vera, onion seed oil, vitamin E, rosewater, and virgin coconut oil are few examples.
Interestingly, benefit of using a hair serum can go beyond just taming frizz. The proper hair serum suited particularly for your hair type may address a variety of issues, such as smoothing, adding shine, and detangling, as well as mending damage and protecting against pollution. Hair serum can also be used to conceal split ends before you visit your hairdresser.
How to apply hair serum?
Hair serum is often applied to damp hair after a hair wash and conditioning, however some may be used on dry hair as well. Take a few drops of hair serum on your palm, rub your hands together and gently massage your hair length from root to tip. Increase the quantity of hair serum, if your hair is thicker or longer. A comb can assist eliminate tangles and ensure that the hair serum is uniformly spread.
Because hair serum forms a protective layer on the hair, it can help prevent damage when used before hot instruments like hair straighteners. Certain hair serums have Pro-Keratin technology and Steam-activated chemicals to provide frizz-free high shine while also guarding against heat damage.
Should i use hair serum if i have naturally fine hair?
It's a general assumption that hair serum makes naturally fine hair look greasy. It actually depends on quality of hair serum you use and how much you use. A hair serum designed to strengthen and repair hair, will result in thicker, healthier-looking hair. In case your hair turns oily at the roots soon, you can try applying the hair serum only on the lengths and ends and apply only a couple of drops.
Benefits of hair serum
Benefits of using hair serum can be numerous. Let’s check them:1. Lustrous hair: Hair serums have the power to revitalize dry and dull hair by injecting moisture into each strand. Hair that is healthy and hydrated is silkier and glossier. Some hair serums contain light-reflecting elements that give gloss and lustre to the hair sans the greasiness.
3. Protection: The protective layer of the hair serum shields the hair against heat damage from styling, dust, pollutants, and photo damage. Thus, hair serums are frequently applied to hair before style
4. Enhanced natural look: Hair serums strengthen the natural anatomy and character of the hair, thereby resulting in finer hair quality that enhances the natural appearance of the hair.
5. Managing tangles: Hair serums smooth the hair, resulting in a detangling effect. As the hair serum smoothes and silkens the hair, it becomes simpler to comb and maintain your hair.
What is a hair spray?
Hair spray is a type of hair care product used to keep a hairdo in place. A spray of polymers is often sprayed into the hair to produce a flexible grip that maintains the hair in its place while allowing for some mobility. Hair spray is widely used to assist in hairdo and maintain it looking good throughout the day. Some hair sprays are meant to have a firmer grip, while others can be flexible and lightweight. These products may also include substances that give further advantages like as lustre, nutrition, and heat protection.
There are various types of hair sprays available in the market today to suit various purposes. To name a few examples - regular spray, finishing spray, texture spray, volumizing spray, thermal spray, freeze spray and shaping spray.
Benefits of hair spray
Using hairspray to style hair has likely been the most common method for decades. Using this hair styling tool will hold hair in place, ensure an all-day hold, add volume, and even tame flyaways and babyhair. Although available in a wide range of strengths and varieties, hairspray is designed to be flexible, giving your hair a light hold without appearing or feeling rock-solid. It can be applied to wet or dry hair, but both methods will produce a unique finish.
Is hairspray bad for your hair?
Hair spray can damage the hair when applied repeatedly and excessively or not correctly administered. It can suck out the nourishment and leave them dry. It is critical to follow the product's recommendations and avoid overdoing it, since this can make the hair bulky and greasy.
Furthermore, it is essential to use a hair spray tailored to address your hair requirements and avoid spraying it right into the scalp at all costs, since this can cause irritation and dryness.
Hair spray, on the other hand, may be a beneficial tool for keeping intact a hairdo and adding volume and lustre to the hair if used in optimum amount and appropriately. Some hair sprays may also include nourishing elements that might aid in hair protection and restoration.
Can i use hair serum as a replacement of hair spray?
The two hair care products, hair serum and hair spray, are completely different products with absolutely different uses. Lightweight oil-based products called hair serum are frequently used to give hair more shine and less frizz. To give hair a sleek, smooth finish, it is typically applied to the lengths and the ends.
Hair spray, unlike serum, is used as a supportive product in styling. It holds the hairdo intact for many hours.
Hairstyles like updos or curls are frequently styled and set using this method. In order to evenly distribute the product, hair spray is typically applied to the mid lengths of the hair.
In short, hair serum cannot be a replacement for hair spray as it does not meet the purpose. Having said that, hair serums can definitely be used before styling to make your hair look healthier.
How to apply hair serum for the best results?
Follow the given procedure for applying hair serum to get optimal outcomes:
1. Begin with washed, dry hair. clean hair, devoid of excess oils or any other styling products, best absorb the hair serum.
2. Warm up the hair serum by placing a small amount on your palm and rubbing them together. The hair serum will spread more thoroughly in your hair owing to the warmth.
3. Use a comb with wide teeth or your fingers to uniformly distribute the hair serum throughout your hair. Focus on your hair's midlengths and ends, which are typically most exposed to damage.
4. For curly or thick hair, you might need a little extra of the hair serum, but don't overdo it since it can make your hair feel greasy and weigh them down.
5. Once the hair serum is in place, you're good to go as it is or you can even style your hair the way you want using a hair dryer.
6. Avoid putting hair serum on your scalp or the roots of your hair as it makes the hair greasy sooner.
7. And most important, make sure you're gentle on your hair while applying it. Pressure can make the hair absorb the hair serum too quickly which isn't very effective.
How to make hair serum at home? DIY hair serum
Are you someone who prefers home remedies or DIY solutionsfor your hair care? We’ve got you an easy peasy DIY recipe for you!
- Jojoba Oil
- Argan Oil
- Coconut Oil
- 5 - 10 droplets of your favorite essential oil, eg. Peppermint or Lavender oil
- In a small mixing dish, combine the 3 carrier oils for hair growth and hairfall control oil (Jojoba oil, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil)
- Mix with 5-10 droplets of your favourite essential oil and stir well.
- Pour the preparation into an air tight container.
- To use, start at the root s and work your way down to the ends using a small quantities of the hair serum. It also works well for a leave-in conditioning.
The amounts of the components can be altered to meet your requirements and preferences. You can decide the amount of essential oil or choose a carrier oil that you prefer as per your hair type and tendencies. Other components like Vitamin E capsules or glycerin can also be added in the preparation for extra advantages. Experiment with several combinations to discover the one that best suits your hair and addresses its needs and demands.
Natural hair serum - Blue Nectar Briganantadi Hair Serum
Briganantadi Hair Tonic Spray with Rosemary Essential Oil moisturizes and soothes the flaky scalp, leaving it free of irritation and dryness. It is a natural hairfall control oil. This ayurvedic Hair Serum replenishes hair from base to tip, leaving it with a glossy sheen, strength, and smoothness. It might be used as a mild style spray without a stronghold after shampooing. It contains 8 Ayurvedic Herbs such as Almond, Rosemary ,Bhringraj, Aloe Vera, and Hibiscus, which are historically used for hair nutrition and overall hair care. Briganantadi Hair Tonic by Blue Nectar is great for dry and frizzy hair.
We hope that the article has answered most of your questions and cleared your doubts related to both the products . Also, we recommend, while the market is flooded with chemical products, it is always wise to go for Ayurvedic natural haircare products that can truly nourish the health of your hair from within. And you can stick to those products for a long period of time.
Recommended Products by Blue Nectar: